From Nigella Express
Note on ingredients: If you have a grocery store with a well-stocked International section (like Giant Eagle), or have access to a Japanese market, these are easy to find ingredients. You can also search the web for substitutions.
This is such a perfect summer salad and it’s really more “assembly” thank cooking, since no heating element is turned on! Perfect for days like today when it’s 93+ degrees outside.
Crab and Avocado Salad With Japanese Dressing
2 tbsp. mirin
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. wasabi paste (I got mine in the tube, very convenient!)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. table salt
few drops sesame oil
1 long red chile pepper, deseeded and finely chopped (or two small ones)
1 1/4 c. cooked crab meat
appx. 1 tsp. lemon or lime juice
5 c. argula or other tender, dark salad greens
1 ripe avocado
1-2 tsp. fresh chives
1. In a medium size bowl that will hold the crabmeat later, whisk together the mirin, rice vinegar, wasabi, salt and sesame oil. Then remove around 4 tbsp. to a large mixing bowl large enough for the salad greens.
2. To the medium bowl, add the chile and the crabmeat, mixing with a fork.
3. To the large bowl, add lime juice and then the salad greens. Toss well to mix and then plate–some on each plate.
4. Spoon a quarter of the crab mixture into a 1/3 c. measuring cup, squishing down to get it all in. Take it over to a salad-lined plate and unmold in the center (just turn the measuring cup over). Continue with the rest of the crab mixture and the other plates.
5. Using a rounded half teaspoon measure, scoop out curls or humps of avocado and dot around on the salad. Spritz with a little citrus juice.
6. Using kitchen scissors, snip chives over the plates.